In 2016 NLMK Engineering introduced BIM technologies into its design practices. Building Information Modeling is a process involving generation and comprehensive processing of architectural, engineering, technological, economic and other information about places.
BIM technology is a modern approach to managing the life cycle of a facility. It enables real-time monitoring of an investment project, including effects resulting from a particular design solution, eliminates inconsistencies in the design process and guarantees:
- High quality design services with minimal lead times
- Precise cost assessment of building and installation works.
The Company has successfully completed its pilot project involving an upgrade of turbine generator No. 5 at NLMK Lipetsk co-generation plant.
Impact of BIM technologies
- A 30% improvement in designers’ performance
- A 50% reduction in the amount of errors and changes in the design
- A 20% reduction of the average “Engineering - Procurement - Construction” cycle
- High accuracy of shell and core costs
In 2015 the Company started the development of an e-catalogue of equipment and materials.
The e-catalogue includes:
- Specifications of material units and manufacturer information;
- 2D and 3D models of equipment with manufacturer information, regulatory documents and certificates;
The E-catalogue is integrated into the BIM system, budgeting and bill of material issuing tools. Since 2017, up to 80% of the infrastructure facilities are designed on the basis of equipment from the e-catalogue.
To date, the e-catalogue contains 67 thousand items. E-catalogue filling in targets: 90 thousand items by the end of 2017. With the use of the e-catalogue, 2,530 bills of materials were developed and delivered to the customer in e-form.
The e-catalogue enables customers to promptly align the changes in the composition of equipment and materials, their technical parameters, estimated cost and thereby shorten the project leadtime.